Saturday, November 15, 2008

Akiane

I recently bought the book "Akiane: Her Life, Her Art, Her Poetry" and was completely blown away by the talents of this young girl. I was first introduced to her through this youtube video of an interview with her - she's a child prodigy who at the age of 4 told her atheist mother that God had spoken to her and then started drawing/painting the images He showed her. She's never taken any art lessons but doesn't consider herself "self-taught", rather she's "God-taught" as she views all her talents as God-given and wants to use them to help others.

With a few notable exceptions, I'm no great lover of poetry, so I can't vouch for her talent there, but her paintings are amazing. They'd be gorgeous no matter what, but knowing that they were painted by a pre-teen (she's only just turned 13) makes them even more incredible. They're so far beyond her years in both technique and concept. I wish I could afford prints of some of them, but unfortunately they go for more than $1500, so I don't see that happening any time soon.

Most of her artwork/poetry can be seen at her website, I've just decided to show some of my favourites here.


Father Forgive Them - Age 9


Found - Age 9


Co-Creating - Age 11


The Separation - Age 11

The rest of her work can be found in her gallery. This is only a very, very small selection, because she's an extremely prolific painter.

No comments: