Thursday, September 3, 2009

NYC - Part 10 of 10

Thankfully Lars managed to sleep off the headache, and was feeling a lot better this morning. He'd done the last bit of his train-riding yesterday and was happy to spend the time with me. I still had a few last things I wanted to cross off my list, so off we went.

Our first stop was the NYPD museum down south of Wall Street. I'd found that in my guide book, and thought it sounded interesting. On the way there we discovered a Borders that had completely hidden itself the last time I'd walked past there, so naturally we had to go browse there for awhile too ;) Didn't buy anything though - they didn't have the book I was looking for, and Lars wasn't terribly impressed by the selection of trainbooks either ;) Now that I'm back home I regret not buying more books while I had the chance, but I was trying to be sensible... Ah well, next time ;)

Half of the NYPD museum was really interesting and half was really boring - but I guess that's always the case. Reading about the measures being taken in the fight against terrorism was absolutely fascinating, and I did find the history of the NYPD very interesting as well - for instance that it underwent a complete rehaul in 18-something after the public discovered that the police refused to investigate a murder until a reward had been offered!!! I also enjoyed reading about the well-known criminals of NYC. The museum was stationed in an old police station which leant nicely to the atmosphere. And now Lars can say that he's had his mug shot taken at a police station in NYC! ;)

We decided to head back to Grand Central to find some lunch there (I really liked their food court... Denmark could learn something from that!) and afterwards I bought a smoothie and snuggled up with a book, so I could send Lars off to peruse the different tracks of the station. Don't ask me why - I don't know either. He managed to spend about an hour and a half though, giving me lots of time to read, so we were both happy :)

We felt pretty much sated and 'done' with the city at this point, so headed back to the hotel to pack and relax awhile before dinner. I was adamant that I did NOT want to have the last dinner somewhere I might as well find in Denmark, so I'd checked out the location of John's Pizzeria (which was recommended to me by one of you guys... sorry, I can't remember who) to try what was allegedly the best pizza in NYC.

...Well, I don't know about the pizza being the best (either that, or NYC pizza is just not nearly as good as Danish pizza... which of course may very well be the case ;) ). Certainly it was good, but it was the atmosphere that blew me away. Both Lars and I gaped as we entered the restaurant, because it was certainly NOT what we had expected. Beautiful, large rooms with high-domed ceilings and beautiful wall paintings. Turned out that the pizzeria was situated in an old church, which suddenly made the architecture make a LOT more sense. It was amazing and more than made up for the boring dinner yesterday. Even Lars exclaimed that he was really happy we'd gone here :)

Part 11
I'm just going to tag this on to part 10 as it'll be very short. Basically day 11 consisted of packing, waiting for the shuttle to take us to Newark, driving to Newark, being completely shocked at how boring Newark airport is (I'd expected at least 1 bookstore and was very, very disappointed ;) ), waiting to check in, waiting to board, waiting to take off (because of the weather we waited in line for 45 minutes... although I am grateful that we weren't grounded altogether) and finally flying the 8 hours back to Copenhagen, Denmark.

It was good to be home, but I must say that I do not feel 'done' with NYC at all. It's a lovely place, and I wish we hadn't been there in the middle of a heatwave. I like just walking around a city to 'soak up' the atmosphere, but it was too hot for me to do that this time. I definitely want to go back!

The best part of my vacation? Meeting new old friends. That was brilliant!!! :)

No comments: