Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Zealand - Part 3 of 12'ish

Part 3: Milford Sound Coach-Cruise
April 20th: I was much unamused - my alarm clock would have rung at 6:30am, but I woke already at 5:30am with a raging headache :( I get those once in awhile, and when I wake up with them, pills will usually have no effect at all, but I took a couple anyway, prayed and hoped for the best. PTL it mostly disappeared within a few hours - NOT a regular occurrance, but I was very grateful!

Anyway, this was the day I had arranged for a coach-cruise trip to Milford Sound, so at 7:20am a taxi picked me up from the lobby and drove me to the Real Journeys office in town, where the bus awaited. And thus started one of the best days of the entire trip. There's not much to actually tell about the trip, because basically it was just one amazing view after another, so I think I'll let the photos do most of the talking. Suffice to say that during a 4-hour bus-ride I didn't touch my book once... in fact, I even forgot I had it! ;)






Te Anau - a quinessential New Zealand town.


Mirror Lake


On bush walks, you don't cut down trees! You build around them!








Milford Sound


See the fault line? I was quite intrigued by that!


Yes, that is my hair! I had forgotten a scrunchie. It was a delight to comb out that evening, I can assure you.


Seals relaxing in the sun :) We got to see a couple of dolphins too, but unfortunately I got no photo of them - I prioritised seeing them "for real" rather than just through a lense ;)






I love the spiderweb effect on the water!


Two-year-old site of a tree avalance.


Ten-year-old site of a tree avalance - just so show how quickly it regrows. But as you can see from the first photo, the trees grow on very, very, VERY little so no wonder avalances happen.

Right, this is long and picture heavy enough as it is - I'll leave the rest for my next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed seeing your photos of this- and enjoy more hearing your story! I know what you mean about the scenery- it is just so overwhelmingly beautiful! I'm so glad you went :D