Sunday, March 23, 2008

Facebook

I've decided to remove almost all applications from my Facebook profile. It's a decision that's been a long time coming, but today clinched it. First of all I don't agree with the chain-mail type structure of many of the applications ("Send this to 20 friends before you get to see your answer"). Secondly, I hate the popularity contest implied in many of the applications - and even more that I'm susceptible to it. Just today I was invited to join a "Circle of trust" application (you rate your Facebook friends by how much you trust them - rate each one individually I mean, not rank them) and discovered that although I had 10 votes, my average of how much people trusted me were just 2 stars out of 5. That upset and hurt me a lot more than it ought to have done, so I'm taking the consequence and throwing away all applications other than the ones I actually use. Probably won't be adding any more either.

Junior high was one long popularity contest, and I hated it. I'm too old to fall back into that trap now.

No comments: