Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday

I just came home from church and from what I think was the most powerful Palm Sunday I've ever been to.

At our church the Palm Sunday service is always a children oriented service, so generally the sermon has been... less than inspiring. Not bad, just aimed at children. This year, however, Morten decided to skip the sermon altogether, and have a happening instead. He got the smallest child there (an adorable boy of about 2-3) to play Jesus, put him on top of a wagon dressed as a donkey and had the other kids pull/push him down through the middle of the church, as Jesus entering Jerusalem. Meanwhile instead of palm branches all adults had been given streamers to throw (think: the beginning of a football game where the audience cheers on the players - same kind of atmosphere) in order to celebrate Jesus' arrival.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but for the first time ever I was there. I was back in Jerusalem in the year 33AD, greeting Jesus and cheering his arrival. I've never experienced anything like it. I had goosebumps everywhere, chills running up and down my spine and a lump in my throat. It was amazing. So extremely powerful, and so extremely devastating because I know what happened next.

Jesus died for my sins... May I never forget it.

No comments: